I found this oversized art for $14.99 and was originally drawn to the frame only. But over time, I didn’t’ have the heart to paint this old canvas…even if it did represent old 1960’s reproduction art you’d find in motels. I give old pieces “a chance” before I tackle them with a paint brush. The seascape grew on us…so I found a temporary solution by creating “new” art that I can change with the seasons, and still display the seascape if we want to at a later date.
Backgrounds can be changed with each season.
I found this reproduction art from the 1960’s. At first my instinct was to cover the canvas permanently…but I hung the piece in its original form over my mantel for several months before I repurposed it.
Here it is before. As a family we decided the gold frame wasn’t quite working with our decor. So I opted to paint the frame only…yet still retain the seascape image to display at a later date.
Step 1: PAINTING THE FRAME –> Since I was salvaging the original art, I taped it off carefully…and drybrushed the frame to a color that blended with my decor yet still complemented the art. For $14.99, this oversized frame was a steal.
Step 2: COVER THE CANVAS with a BACKGROUND IMAGE (Temporarily or permanently). Using a tape measure and exacto knife. I cut this barnwood paper to-size to cover the canvas. I did not want a permanent solution because as a family, we all decided that we liked the original art (which has almost no value) but the seascape was something that we wanted to display again. If you want to permanently cover the art, then you can Mod Podge. (where to buy the paper is in the blog post). Because I wanted only to temporarily cover my canvas, I sprayed the back of this paper with repositionable adhesive spray. This way I can easily remove the barnwood look, change it…or even display the original seascape again.
Step 3: Come visit the blog to see the final result!
Full home tour and all of my sources are in the link below.
In order to dry brush the frame, I lightly taped off the image, then painted the frame. Then carefully removed the tape.
The end result!
I tacked down this image with repositionable spray so it would be removable — and I could still display the original seascape.